I don't make resolutions. I use to when I was "younger". But then I found out that you're just setting yourself up to fail. I can't name a single resolution I made that I ever kept - heck, I probably didn't even make it out of the month of January before I failed. Instead - I make plans!! And I don't just do it a the beginning of the New Year. I do it all year long. I have a list, well, a few, for different things. Like things I want to get done around the house - i.e. painting, flooring, curtains. There's one for my quilt projects - what needs quilted, what needs finished, what needs started. There's the running grocery list (who doesn't have that one). You get the picture. These lists are my reminders that I need to keep moving, doing, accomplishing, growing, sharing, broadening my horizons. And I keep them with me in my iPhone. It's a handy little thing to have. I have apps for all sorts of things, and yes, I have a personal organzier for my life on that things too. It keeps my lists, my calendar, my budget and even my running grocery list. I use to carry a little notebook in my purse for all this stuff. Now I just carry the iPhone in my purse. I can say one thing, my shoulder doesn't hurt as much.
So, since this was the beginning of the New Year, I found something, and I wanted to share it. I don't have many subscribers (which I'm hoping will grow in 2013) but I thought those of you who read my blog might enjoy this. This woman is very smart and this is an excellent list. I'm going to post it on my fridge and pass it around to my friends. Words of wisdom!!
45 Lessons Life Taught Me
Written by Regina Brett, 90 years old, of The Plain Dealer Newspaper, Cleveland, Ohio.
1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step..
3. Life is too short - enjoy it..
4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and family will.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don't have to win every argument. Stay true to yourself.
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
12. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it...
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye But don't worry; God never blinks.
16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful. Clutter weighs you down in many ways.
18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
19. It's never too late to be happy. But it's all up to you and no one else.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
23 Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
24. The most important sex organ is the brain.25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words 'In five years, will this matter?'
27. Always choose life.
28. Forgive but don't forget.
29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
32. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does..
33. Believe in miracles.
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.
35. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
36. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.
37. Your children get only one childhood.
38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
41. Envy is a waste of time. Accept what you already have not what you need.
42. The best is yet to come...
43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
45. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift."
And so with these words of wisdom offered up to you, I wish you and yours a truly blessed and joyous New Year!!!!! Let's see what 2013 has in store for me.........what adventures await!!